Moving to Idaho is a great choice for many people! Our state has so much to offer, from the friendly community to the gorgeous outdoor options. If you’re new to the area, we have some great tips on getting settled easily in our different communities. Here are some ways to get into the groove of a true Idahoan.
- Become a regular – check out the regular local hot spots and start visiting them. Restaurants, clubs, the library, hiking paths, grocery stores, everything. Take some time to just check out the various options and become familiar with them like a local—because now you are one!
- Don’t skip the “tourist” phase – Try out being a tourist for a little while. Go see what makes your new town so cool. Museums, events, popular trails, and shopping centers are great places to have fun while also getting to know the area better.
- Work hard at making friends – Making friends as an adult is tricky. You need to make a stern effort to find new friends to hang out with. If you see someone with a bumper sticker you agree with, go start a conversation about it. Is someone reading a book you’ve read and loved (or hated!)? Head over and chat it up. When someone is listening to a song you’re obsessed with, go tell them about your love of it. It may be uncomfortable at first, but it’s the only way to get talking to potential new buddies.
- Keep an open mind and ask questions – Don’t be afraid to ask other residents questions about their favorite things to do in the city or around the entire state. It sparks conversation and gives you more things to do in your spare time.
- Say YES to things you normally wouldn’t – obviously be safe here and don’t commit to something that makes you uncomfortable, but if a coworker needs help with a garage sale or you hear someone pushing a free yoga-in-the-park class, say yes. These are great ways to get to know people better. The more you say yes to, the more events you go to, which means you can discover who you’re connecting with and who you’re not.
- Consider volunteering or getting a part-time job at fun places – Volunteering with the community is a great way to meet people and get invested in your new home. If that’s not your jam, consider a temporary part-time job at a place that sounds fun to you. This will help you meet people with similar interests while also keeping yourself busy.
InterWest Mortgage takes a personal interest in our clients to ensure they are happy in their community, especially if they are moving from out of state. We can steer you in the right direction for various interests so you can get a love for your community quickly. Mortgages may be our business, but our clients are our top priority, which you’ll notice as you work with us and see the precision in finding the best loan for your situation.